Are you considering or about to embark on a new renovation project?

Renovations can be an exciting project! The design process can be the most exciting part, where you get to choose your colours, fixtures and finishes. However to ensure a smooth and successful project, it’s important to spend time planning and considering the practical elements.

So, before you jump into visiting showrooms and making decisions about your finishes, here’s a few important, practical things to consider when planning your renovation; 

Do I need a site survey?

Most renovation projects do require a site survey unless the works are internal. Surveys are required if you’re extending beyond the current structure of your home or completing projects such as boundary fences, a pool installation or a retaining wall.

A thorough site survey covers all aspects of a building site, including:

  • Establishing your property boundaries
  • Taking note of the natural landscape within and surrounding your property
  • Calculating your land parcel’s size and shape
  • Measuring and marking land contours

A site survey may also be required by your architect or building designer in order to accurately complete your renovation drawings.

As a general rule, if a project requires planning approval, a site survey is probably required.


Will I need an Architect or Building Designer?

Regardless of the scale of your renovation, engaging the services of an architect or building designer can be invaluable in ensuring the completion of a successful project. An experienced professional can not only turn your great idea into something spectacular but they can also consider the practical elements such as structural restrictions or council regulations.

In order to obtain planning approval, you will need to engage architectural drafting services to complete your renovation drawings. A detailed set of scaled drawings must be prepared and submitted with your Development Application including Site Plans, Sections & Elevations and Floor Plans.


What is the Development Application Process?

A DA is a formal request to build or carry out development within a Local Government Area (LGA). A DA is made up of forms and documents that show the merits of your project and how it adheres to local, state and federal building requirements.

  • Development Application is lodged and fees paid to Council.
  • The application is registered and an Assessing Officer assigned.
  • An Acknowledgement Notice is issued to applicant.
  • Adjoining property owners are notified of the proposed application and it is advertised if necessary.
  • Council conducts site inspection/s as part of the assessment of the impact of the proposed development.
  • Application is assessed according to Council’s planning instruments LEPs, DCPs & SEPPs and other relevant Acts & Regulations. Any submissions received are also taken into consideration.
  • If the application is satisfactory, Council will issue Development Consent subject to conditions.

What happens after my development has been approved?

In order to obtain a construction certificate you can choose to either apply directly through to local council or engage the services of a private certifier. The PCA will assess  your plans and assist you with all aspects of your construction certificate and ensure your renovation complies with the legislative requirements.

Your PCA will also:

  • Confirm your builder has the required licence
  • Check that you have met all pre-commencement conditions before work starts
  • Complete mandatory critical stage inspections
  • Issue an occupation certificate